We envision a democracy where every person has the desire, the right, the knowledge, and the confidence to participate.
We believe in the power of women to create a more perfect democracy.
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy. Membership is open to everyone. Make a difference in your community and your world. Join and become part of a long tradition of Empowering Voters and Defending Democracy.
League of Women Voters Resolution on Racial Justice
URGENT RESOLUTION: RACIAL JUSTICE FOR BLACK PEOPLE AND ALL PEOPLE OF COLOR (LWVMO, LWVAZ, LWVCA, LWVDE, LWVMA, LWVMN, LWVNM, LWVNY)
1. Whereas, the killings of George Floyd and countless other Black people have focused our nation’s attention on the continuing structural and systemic racism in law enforcement and the justice system; and,
2. Whereas, Black people and all historically marginalized people of color are disproportionately criminalized and targeted by excessive force and brutality by law enforcement; and,
3. Whereas, delegates to the 2020 League of Women Voters (League) Convention are outraged by these injustices in law enforcement that unfairly target Black people and all people of color; and,
4. Whereas, the current crisis is a result of racism and socio-economic inequalities that have marginalized, discriminated against and harmed Black people and all people of color. Education, housing, employment, healthcare and every aspect of American life have been impacted; and,
5. Whereas, the League acknowledges painfully that America is a nation founded on racism. We must end white privilege and the myth of white supremacy if we are to become the nation we pledge to be; and,
6. Whereas, the League commemorates the centennial of our organization and passage of the 19th Amendment along with the courage, persistence and vision of our founding members. Yet, our past has been marred by racism and it is time to acknowledge that so we can continue to work toward being Diverse, Equitable and Inclusive, (DEI) ;and,
7. Whereas, the League believes in individual liberties, civil rights, human rights, and voting rights writ large; we defend democracy and oppose all threats to these constitutional rights; therefore,
8. We Resolve First, That the League advocates against systemic racism in the justice system and, at a minimum, for preventing excessive force and brutality by law enforcement. We also call for prompt actions by all League members to advocate within every level of government to eradicate systemic racism, and the harm that it causes; and,
9. We Resolve Second, That the League help our elected officials and all Americans recognize these truths to be self-evident; that Black, Indigenous and all People of Color (BIPOC) deserve equal protection under the law; and that we demand solutions for the terrible wrongs done, so that regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, disability, and gender identity or sexual orientation we may truly become a nation “indivisible, with liberty and justice for all”